Tuesday, October 16, 2007

AL Gold Gloves: First Base

Here are the AL Gold Glove candidates at first base. I'll evaluate them using Fielding Win Shares and Fielding Wins Above Average (derived from fielder runs above average on BP, divided by 9):


First base FWS FWAA

Youkilis 2.8 1.5
Pena 2.3 1.2
Kotchman 2.3 1.1
Sexson 2.0 .7
Millar 1.8 .9
Overbay 1.8 .9


I don't trust WS in this case, because Matt Stairs was tied with Overbay and Millar in fielding win shares.

I expect Youkilis to win it, and he should. I'll give Pena the second spot in a nudge over Casey Kotchman.

Iron Glove is a tough call, as there are a lot of bad part time first basemen. Surprisingly, Mark Teixeira was bad, but he only played part of the year for Texas. I'll give it to Garko, the worst regular by quite a margin. If Teixeira had stayed with Texas, and played at the same level, he would have earned the Iron Glove. That's strange, because he has a good defensive reputation.