Tuesday, October 02, 2007

NL Gold Gloves: Catcher

Here are the NL Gold Glove candidates at catcher. I'll evaluate them using Fielding Win Shares and Fielding Wins Above Average (derived from fielder runs above average on BP, divided by 9):


Catcher FWS FWAA

Snyder 9.5 1.2
Martin 8.6 1.1
Y.Molina 7.4 2.1
Ruiz 7.3 0.7
Ausmus 7.0 0.6

I haven't watched Snyder much, but Martin is the clear favorite based on name recognition and his bat (which shouldn't be part of the GG voting, but is). Molina is also a well-known defender.

In the last two weeks, Snyder rocketed ahead of Martin in Win Shares. Martin lost ground, and Snyder picked up a bunch. I didn't watch Snyder play, but he must have been awesome to gain that kind of ground in a couple of weeks.

I'll assume for this post that an average fielding catcher would earn about 2.5 fielding win shares. Subtracting 2.5 from their fielding win shares, I get FWSAA (fielding win shares above average). Then I multiply three times their FWAA in the BP system, because wins are worth three win shares in the win shares system. Adding the two together gives me a composite score of how they rank against average catchers.

By that measure, Molina edges out Snyder and gets my gold glove. I think this may be the voters' result too, because someone on LaRussa's club has to win something, right? Martin also has a chance to snag the real award.

I still give an Iron Glove to Jason Kendall, though I'm tempted to give one to Michael Barrett, who is below average and dropped the throw that would have kept the Padres hopes alive (assuming competent umpiring).