Saturday, October 06, 2007

Manny and Andy

1. I don't like the Red Sox, but I like Manny Ramirez. He is, quite simply, one of the best right handed hitters in the history of major league baseball.

So when Scioscia (who I've liked since I was a kid) intentionally walked Ortiz to face Manny, I felt a little sorry for Manny. I thought "Has it come to this? Manny is now someone a pitcher is willing to face?"

For a second I thought maybe Scioscia should walk him too and face Lowell instead. But I guess you can't put a guy on third, and maybe Manny is on the downswing.

I'm looking forward to seeing the tape measure on Manny's shot. It literally disappeared into the night.

2. I don't like the Yankees either. They bore me, despite the great hitting. The uniforms, the over-coverage of the media, the huge payroll. Snore.

I do, however, like Andy Pettitte. He looks like an old-style Yankee. I'd like to see a close up b&w film photo of just Pettitte's face, and stick it next to old timers like Enos Slaughter, or Hank Bauer or Moose Skowron. Something in the Charles Conlon style. He'd fit right in, especially if he had his cap on and that glare he gets when he lowers the bill to stare in at the hitter. It's just cool.