Tuesday, October 02, 2007

NL Gold Gloves: Second Base

Here are the NL Gold Glove candidates at second base. I'll evaluate them using Fielding Win Shares and Fielding Wins Above Average (derived from fielder runs above average on BP, divided by 9):


Second base FWS FWAA

Phillips 6.4 2.3
Hudson 6.2 1.8
Giles 5.9 1.2
DeRosa 5.3 0.0
Matsui 5.3 1.2
Uggla 4.5 1.1
Utley 4.7 0.9


Hudson is no surprise here. Phillips is a big surprise, as I've heard only negatives about his defense. Uggla drops out of contention, as does Kelly Johnson, who didn't play much. Matsui and Utley get added to the list.

I expect Hudson to win it.

Both systems agree that Phillips is the winner, and who am I to argue?

Iron glove to the combo of Chris Burke and Craig Biggio. If I can pick only one player, then it goes to Ray Durham, who has had one of the worst years in recent memory for a good player.