Thursday, August 30, 2007

Selig Endorses Cooper

Bud Selig, commenting on Cecil Cooper being named interim manager of the Astros, said:

This is a big thing," Selig said. "I'm very proud of [owner] Drayton McLane and the Houston Astros for doing what they've done. I can tell you they won't be sorry. Cecil Cooper is a classy guy who deserves an opportunity, and I'm very confident he'll do very well.

I think it's very important. I really do. I think he really has earned this opportunity. Hopefully, this is a long-term proposition."


Uh, since when did the commissioner of MLB comment on the wisdom of hirings and firings of managers? Cooper played for the Brewers when Selig owned the team, and it is apparent that they are friends. It's hard to knock a guy for supporting his pal. But the commissioner can't tell the world he endorses Cooper, can he?

Would you be pissed if you were Drayton McLane? On the one hand, it is a pat on the back from the commish. On the other, what if you really don't want Cooper in the long-term but the commissioner is pimping him to baseball fans everywhere?

To put a better light on it, Selig's comments are entwined with his comments supporting more diversity in major league baseball's management ranks, which I agree with. I think Selig could have made the diversity point without injecting his personal feelings about Cooper into the situation.