Friday, August 10, 2007

Bonds Winks

Who was Bonds winking to after he hit the home run? After he scored, Barry turned back towards home plate, and I saw Nationals' catcher Brian Schneider applauding in the background. Bonds gave his Andre Agassi-like salute to the crowd, then turned towards home plate, pointed, and winked. I saw it on t.v. live, and I've watched the replay three times. He was not pointing into the dugout, or the crowd.

That's strange. Schneider has never been Barry's teammate. I'm not saying this happened, but the thought flashed through my mind that Schneider could have tipped the pitch. Of course, the pitch was so fat Barry didn't need a tip.

The other strange thing -- in contrast to what I remember about McGwire's record setting home run -- was that when Barry's son hugged him at the plate, Barry did not hug back. He stood with his arms over his head, and then turned back towards the dugout. It was like his son was hugging a tree. McGwire -- who I never liked -- was genuinely caught up in the moment with his boy. Barry did have warm hugs for his daughter, mom and wife, though. Maybe he was too distracted by the event.