Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ryan Thomas

One thing has troubled me since last year, when Ryan Howard was making a splash, which I resented for some reason. Is his nose actually bigger than Frank Thomas' nose?

I downloaded their pictures from MLB.com and blended them 50/50. Their heads are not the same size, so I had to manipulate the positioning a bit. I tried to match the top of their nostrils.

The resulting picture looks more like Howard than Thomas, but that's an optical illusion. It is 50/50. In fact, Howard is not smiling in his picture, but in this one, he has Thomas' smile, sort of, but retains the chin hair.

Anyway, my conclusion -- not evident from the picture...sorry -- is that Frank Thomas has an ever-so-slight lead in nose width, but because his nostrils are closed in the picture, and Howard's are open, Howard's nose seems bigger.

If I were a Blue Jay, or a Phillie, I wouldn't sit next to either guy for fear there would be a shortage of oxygen left over for me.

Here are the numbers. I measured from nostril to nostril width, measuring until the nostril cast a shadow on the rest of the face. We'll call than the oWidth.

I measured the height and width of the individual nostril based on the shadowed area within the nostril. We'll call that the nHeight and nWidth.

I also measured the height of the overall nose, measuring from the mid-point of the eyes to the bottom of the nostril shadow. That's the oHeight.

I don't have any profile shots of exactly the same size, so I can't calculate length and produce an overall area.

Thomas:
oWidth (26 pixels)
nHeight (1 pixel)
nWidth (7 pixels)
oHeight (16 pixels)

Howard:
oWidth (24 pixels)
nHeight (3 pixels)
nWidth (5 pixels)
oHeight (19 pixels)

Too close to call. For kicks, I also did Craig Counsell's numbers:

Counsell:
oWidth (16 pixels)
nHeight (2 pixels)
nWidth (4 pixels)
oHeight (20 pixels)