Thursday, August 09, 2007

ESPN Is Like A Soft Drink

When you use it everyday, it seems like it is really really good. But take a year off and then try it. Horrible. Sugary sweet.

I was in a sub shop and SportsCenter was on, with what could only be called massively repetitive coverage of Bonds' home run. Scott Somebodyorother tossed it out to Pedro Gomez, whom Scott told us has been living at AT&T Park for the last 3 months covering this story. Having exhausted every other possibility, Scott asked Pedro for his insight on the home run.

Gomez said what stuck out in his mind was Bonds' response to a question at the press conference. Someone asked Bonds whether he had any advice for the public in determining who the real Barry Bonds is. Bonds said "Don't listen to you guys," referring to the media. Some members of the media chuckled. Gomez was not amused. He said if Barry has a bad image, it is his fault, not the media's fault. He explained that the media just presents it the way it is. It isn't the media's job to make Barry's image. It is Barry's job to make his own image.

I'm not sure what to make of that. Gomez is saying one of two things: (1) the media reports everything with a 100% objective view; what you see is the "true reality" or (2) sure we distort the hell out of things, but it's Barry's job to manipulate us so that his image is not tarnished.

I believe Gomez was saying the first. That's incredibly naive, even for a reporter who tries/hopes to report things objectively. I'm not suggesting Gomez distorts reality, but to say the media is merely showing us the world as it is means that he doesn't understand the media. ESPN is a business, designed to make money, and the more titillating the story, the better the ratings. That's reality!

Suppose the reporters crowd around Barry's locker and he says "Get the hell away from me. I want to be with my kids right now." Does that make Barry an asshole? Because he doesn't want to talk to someone at ESPN? As if he has an obligation to let them make money off his story.

Do I think Barry is a jerk? Yes. But consider why I might think that. My only access to Barry is through what I see on television and read on the Internet. I'm willing to acknowledge that I don't really know if he is a jerk because it is filtered through the media. Funny that Pedro Gomez can't acknowledge that.

Here's the sugary sweet part of the report. After about 30 seconds of Pedro Gomez "reporting," Scott then says "I'm not in charge of scheduling, but GO HOME! Get some rest! You deserve it." Am I supposed to enjoy this office talk between the two ESPN guys? Why is that on the air? I find it difficult to believe Gomez is completely worn out because he has to watch baseball every day and report for 60 seconds on Barry Bonds. 90% of the country is working harder than he is. But even if he is pulling all nighters, so what? He's handsomely paid to do his job. I don't feel sorry for him.

It has become a real pet peeve of mine when the news/sports anchor thanks a reporter for his hard work, or otherwise engages in a personal conversation with the reporter. That's not part of the news. The reporter's job is to report. Why must the anchor, another paid member of the same organization, thank him for doing his job -- and thank him on the air?