Friday, February 16, 2007

Alternative Hall of Fame -- Methods (Overview)

Although the details of my system have changed several times -- constantly being tweaked -- the system has always revolved around a "report card" for the players. The Report Card includes the following categories, and the categories are weighted as indicated:

Similarity Score x 0.5
Hall of Fame Standards x 1.0
Grey Ink Test x 1.0
Keltner List x 1.0
Hall of Fame Monitor x 1.0
Win Shares x 1.5
WARP1 x 1.5

For position players, I add:

Runs Created relative to League Average Runs Created x 1.0
Defensive Win Shares x 1.0

For pitchers, I add:

Pitching Linear Weights x 1.0
Fibonacci Win Points x 0.5

In each category, a player gets a grade, based on an A to F scale. An A is worth 4 points, a B is worth 3 points, and so on. Those grade points are weighted, as described above, and produce a GPA. I then compare the player's GPA to a perfect score (a 4.0).

I calculate two GPAs. The first, base score is the player's GPA as a percentage of a perfect score, dropping the lowest grade. That number generally will be between 0 and 100, although because of the weighting system players can score as high as 106.

The second score is the tiebreaker. It is the player's GPA as a percentage of a perfect score, with all the grades included, and then added to the base score. Because I will only be posting for those players who make good enough grades, the second number will not be lower than 100 and may be as high as 206.

As mentioned in the earlier posts, I'll be posting two lists: one based on the Hall of Merit quota system, which limits the number of electees each year (the PHoM-Quota list); and another based on which players meet 75% of the standards (the PHoM-Open list). For this second list, any player whose base score is 75 or higher will make my PHoM-Open list.

For each of the categories on the grade sheet, I will add a separate post explaining how I calculate the grades.