Sunday, September 02, 2007

More Bruce Froemming?

Well, I didn't expect to have two Bruce Froemming posts in one season, but...

I was watching the Cubs on WGN, and Milt Pappas was a guest in the broadcast booth to discuss his no-hitter as a Cub in 1972 (34 years ago today) against the Padres. He was one pitch from a perfect game, but walked pinch hitter Larry Stahl.

Bob Brenly asked him if he was disappointed at not getting the perfect game. Here's the answer I expected: "It was late in my career and I was happy to have the no-hitter. It would have been nice to have a complete game, but I am proud of my accomplishment."

That's NOT what he said. Here's what he said (paraphrased, though this is very close to a direct quote): I was excited, but also disappointed. "That idio...Froemming, should have retired 35 years ago." Y'know when Don Larsen pitched his complete game in the 1956 World Series, that final strike was three feet out of the strike zone, but the umpire knew it was a perfect game. In my game Froemming called it a ball. (WGN shows video of Froemming's call, then Pappas yelling at Froemming, and Froemming with a wry grin on his face). "See, that's what really got me. That smirk." I could have had it but Froemming didn't give it to me. "After the game he asked me to sign the ball, and I said 'Sure Bruce, I'll sign it, and you know where you can stick it!'"

Wow. On the one hand, I like the raw honesty. You hardly ever see that. On the other, he's awfully bitter. I don't think Froemming has any obligation to give him a strike if it wasn't a strike. It was clearly a ball.

On the other hand, the pitch was totally meaningless to the ballgame and pennant races. Froemming could have called it a strike. Pappas had an 8-0 lead, and the Padres were horrible at the time: 46-80. Only three players in their starting lineup that day had an OPS over 650, and Cito Gaston was one of them with a 660. The others were Nate Colbert (a legit hitter sporting an 851) and little known Leron Lee with an 876. Lee is current Cub Derrek Lee's uncle. Also in the lineup for the Pads was Fred Kendall, current Cub Jason Kendall's dad.

I haven't checked, but I imagine this no-hitter was achieved against as weak a lineup as any no-hitter in history.

Guess it's a good thing Froemming wasn't umping the Houston-Chicago game today, because Pappas threw out the first pitch. Twice. He bounced the first one and wanted another shot. I guess that's just part of his personality.