Saturday, July 28, 2007

Selig and Bonds

Who cares?

I should stop there, but I won't. When I say "Who cares?" I'm referring to Selig's attendance at Giants' games, not Barry's quest. Leaving aside whether you like Barry or not, and whether you want him to pass Hammerin' Hank: (a) it's a big deal and (b) it's going to happen.

Does it matter in the slightest whether the commissioner is there? This isn't the Kennesaw Mountain Landis era. Selig is not a celebrity. I don't think the fans pay attention to ANYTHING he says. Do you really think of Selig as the guy who maintains the integrity of the game?

Maybe Selig, if he were there, would get a 20 second soundbite...and then, gone, lost among all the other soundbites and camera flashes.

Selig's presence, or absence, has absolutely no bearing on the event. It doesn't diminish what Bonds is doing. It doesn't tell us anything more about steroids (if you still care at this point).

I just hope (with all the energy I can muster) that Bonds does not hug someone on the opposing team when he does it, a la' McGwire and Sosa. That made me sick.