Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dum (or not so Dumb) Things Said

1.  Dum:  In the Chicago/Milwaukee game Thursday, I was listening to the Brewers' telecast.  The color commentator (Bill Schroeder, I think) was discussing Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot, and their value to the Cubs.  He said "You're right.  Theriot and Fontenot can hit anywhere up and down the order, one to eight."

This, of course, is literally true.  They could also hit ninth.  So could every other player in the major leagues.  But how many teams in the majors would hit Theriot or Fontenot in the #3, #4 or #5 spots? 

2.  Not so Dumb:  In the Rays/Orioles game on Thursday, Andy Freed, the Rays radio play-by-play man said "There's Chris Hoiles, member of the Orioles hall of fame."  I scoffed.  I remembered Hoiles as a so-so hitter with a pretty short career.  How could he be in the O's HoF?  For about half of my life, the Orioles were one of the best teams in the league.  Hoiles played for them on the downswing.

Actually, Hoiles played for 10 seasons and compiled a 262/366/467 line (not park adjusted).  I can't scoff at an 833 OPS from a catcher.  Hoiles averaged about 1 win above average for his career -- at least at the plate -- and appeared to be an average and competent defensive player.  I can buy that he's in the Orioles hall of fame.  If Dempsey is, Hoiles ought to be.